Friday, July 24, 2026

The economics of the ephemeral

For me it’s the economics of being a mother
To a son who is inches away yet miles from me 

A moment 

A joke, a connection - a semblance of a joint existence 

I’ll learn it all - if it can help me - lean into his life 
Perhaps if I lean in enough - if I learn enough - if I 

Grovel a bit 

It won’t be a Chinese Room* 

It will be a life - a life he leads with a job if he wants it 
Friends, lovers, books, texts to his mother that he is busy 

But Sunday for brunch would be nice - he’ll buy 

I want that - how do I get there - when he’s on repeat 
Scripting and flapping and bouncing - everything that was cute at 4 - at seventeen it’s knee bending - it’s my life 

How do I get out of my life 
How do I leave 

Knowing he remains 


* 1980 paper by the American philosopher John Searle, entitled "Minds, Brains, and Programs" and published in the journal Behavioral and Brain Sciences.[1]